Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Birds



The window was open a bit,
like parted lips, and from its
mouth came songs to interrupt
my dreams.

It was more than interruption.
It was an integration of
of mixed language and trills
and dreamscape.

As if Hitchcock put sub-titles
underneath their chirps and
squawks and whistles and
a foreign film rolled on.

The robins and the grackles
sub-titles started wriggling
under them like worms
in the dirt.
 
“You know Grack, why is it
we have wings and we are
sent to the soil to get
breakfast?”

“I have, I’ve, I’ve, I’ve
gotten that conversation
 reeling in my brain too.
Robin, oh, if I were a bird
I would fly away from here.”

“Sometimes I pretend I am
a rabbit…hopping down here
from worm hole to worm
hole.”

“ I I I feel the earth move
under my my my feet, I
feel the sky tumbling down,
a tumbling down.”

“Hey, get real, that’s
groceries you’re hoppin’
past friend.  Let’s see a
little neck action over there!”

“Now, now, don’t you you you
get a little feather bent over
feeding your little ones
second hand goods.  I mean
worms are are are gross
enough the first time.”

“Not the huge earth worms,
hey watch this…”

It was then I started to wake
when I saw the big
orange breast dip and
yank an earth worm like
scarves from a sleeve.
Pulling and pulling and
pulling a gewy dirt soil
freckled beast and sucked
it in like linguini.  The robin
stood among the blades
perfectly still for 13 seconds
and then cast the worm
out. 
And there it lay, divided in
three equal sections
by square knots.
The robin said nothing,
jutted out it’s chest
and nodded and
ascended like a
harrier for a moment,
and then flew away.

The grackle stood 
with its beak hanging open.
“Well,  I’ll, I’ll, I’ll be.”


Posted for one shot where poets do their poeting.

12 comments:

  1. Love the story....the questioning of these birds of the why's of their life....and the ending Nice!...Well I'll be Jerry --thanks for the story...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Jerry. It's like a parable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow jerry - this was amazing - loved the details like the window like parted lips and the hitchcock subtitles...very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This great poem looked outside the box to the world of birds and did a great job of entering their reality. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha jerry this was a delight to read...you are either a creative genius or slightly demented...either way...loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative dreamscape montage with references from Carole King to Hitchcock; and with an Alice in Wonderland feel to it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a racket! Nice One Shot, Jerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story in this post. :) Thanks Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. The grackles have taken over our feeder even though it's made for smaller birds. One takes command and precariously perches on the feeder edge and flips the seeds down to the others. The squirrels are in heaven, too, as there is so much seed on the ground to go around. I loved this - I felt like I was watching a movie, Jerry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I watch the activity outside my back door and can almost hear the conversation.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed this poem. It's quite well done. I love to watch birds. They do seem to have personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the "parted lips" and "yank an earth worm like scarves from a sleeve". I greatly enjoyed this! (found you through onestop & High Calling).

    ReplyDelete

So, you made a little time to stop by. You are welcome any time...speak freely.