Sunday, October 31, 2010

Somethin' Sunday...Psalm 40

Psalm 40
i waited for God
not long enough
i didn’t know I was stuck in the mud
it was dirty mud
i’ve been pumping my feet
busy keeping busy
flat out deciding not to wait
but there I was not moving
in all my agenda
i stand in the congregation and sing not
they see this and ignore
and mystery is no more

subtracted by giving my self to no one
even God
the “sure thing” I still look for
in the fray
is always a step away

i stockpile the blessings
without gratitude
and consume
and name above all names
words that go lined
but not underlined by You
my heart neither is true

i do something
i bring something
i be something
that You didn’t ask for
and i am sore

i am not ready to come
i can’t handle truths
i won’t believe the party
what happened and where
and why this blank stare

i have nothing to preach
yet preach i do
about me
and self dependant i be

so now i stopped tapping Your shoulder
and my heart is giving out
not love
just giving out
with lots of doubt
gangs and mobs and sins and guilts
curl around me
a barrier reef
grief

“But all who are hunting for you-
     oh, let them sing and be happy.
Let those who know what you’re all about
     tell the world you’re great and not quitting.
And me!  I’m a mess.  I’m nothing and have nothing:
     make something of me.
You can do it; you’ve got what it takes-
     but God, don’t put it off.”

i waited for God
not long enough

Quote from Psalm 40:16,17 The Message



4 comments:

  1. nice retelling of the psalm jerry. i hope you have a wonderful sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many days when what you say in this poem is my poem. Thanks for this, Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not always easy to wait on him...i often struggle with this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow,
    simple words.
    insightful meanings...

    ReplyDelete

So, you made a little time to stop by. You are welcome any time...speak freely.